Although the observatory roof has been fixed, only those already trained on observatory use can reserve time on the observatory telescopes. In addition, only two telescope operators—one on each telescope—is permitted to enter and use the observatory at a time. The bunks in the chartroom are not allowed to be used. The Observatory building is not yet open for in-person training.
Observatory / Dark Site Rules
- The observatory is open only to previously trained operators as described above. Bring your own eyepieces – the observatory eyepiece case is not available.
- The observatory building is not open for in-person training
- Dark Site observing pads, RVs, private observatories, and restrooms are open
- The bunkhouses are closed
- Tent camping in the designated camping area is permitted
- All other rules covered in online site training apply
To reserve time on an observatory telescope, email [email protected]. For questions about the observatory and use of the dark site facilities, email [email protected]. To take online site training, log into the website and click button Start Your Training near the bottom of this page https://astronomyhouston.org/about/has-observatory